Monday, November 9, 2015

Book Review #601 - Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote


17696784


My Rating: 3/5


Source: Bought


Buy: The Book Depository


Goodreads



Truman Capote's Breakfast at Tiffany's is a brilliant glimmer of the excitement of 40's New York. Holly Golightly – brashly beautiful with a slim black dress, a mysterious past and dark glasses over varicoloured eyes – entrances all the men she meets, including the young writer living above her, though her recklessness may yet catch up with her. Also containing three short stories, this edition shows the elegance and warmth of Capote's writing at its most flawless.


I read this as part of my 1001 Books you must read before you die challenge where I try and read one book from the list per month. This was my choice for October. 


The warmth of the writing is what drew me into this book. Truman Capote really has a way with words and tone. 


Whilst the writing is what initially drew me in, it was the mysterious, enigmatic nature of Holly Golightly that ultimately held my interest. 


At exactly 100 pages long (in my edition anyway) it took me longer than expected to read (2 days) and this was largely due to the fact that the book has no chapters and it just written as one large story. This really influenced me reading the book. 


I have since watched the Audrey Hepburn film adaptation of the book and I loved it even though there were numerous changes - particularly the ending. 

No comments:

Post a Comment