Friday, August 28, 2015

Book Review #589 - Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck


11935305


My Rating: 5/5


Source: Bought 


Buy: The Book Depository


Goodreads




While the powerlessness of the laboring class is a recurring theme in Steinbeck’s work of the late 1930s, he narrowed his focus when composing Of Mice and Men (1937), creating an intimate portrait of two men facing a world marked by petty tyranny, misunderstanding, jealousy, and callousness. But though the scope is narrow, the theme is universal: a friendship and shared dream that make an individual’s existence meaningful.


This was my first Steinbeck novel and I read it as part of my 1001 Books challenge where I try and read at least one book from there a month. 


I went into this book thinking that I would not like it as I am not usually the biggest fan of classics. 


This book was only 100 or so pages long but it felt much longer (and not in a negative way). The characters and setting were very vividly portrayed and the backdrop of the depression era really added to the realism.


I loved the relationship between Lennie and George. George was very protective of Lennie whilst Lennie was ferociously loyal towards George. 


I hadn't been spoiled of the ending so I was very surprised and shocked by the final couple of plot twists. 


The very last plot twists was one of the most shocking ones I have ever encountered and there is no doubt it will remain memorable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment