Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Book Review #533 - The Hobbit by J.R.R Tolkien

289870




Bilbo Baggins is a hobbit who enjoys a comfortable, unambitious life, rarely travelling further than the pantry of his hobbit-hole in Bag End. But his contentment is disturbed when the wizard, Gandalf, and a company of thirteen dwarves arrive on his doorstep one day to whisk him away on an unexpected journey ‘there and back again’. They have a plot to raid the treasure hoard of Smaug the Magnificent, a large and very dangerous dragon…



My Rating: 3.5/5


This was my first time reading about Middle Earth. I had seen all the films however which I think actually helped me in reading this as I usually find high fantasy difficult to read. 


As visually stunning the films depict Middle Earth it is nothing compared to the novel. There is a real sense of realism and adventure and I especially loved the idea of living in a hobbit hole. 


I can definitely see myself reading this book multiple more times over my life. 


Bilbo Baggins is one of my favourite literary protagonists. He is such a reluctant hero and all round likeable little hobbit. 


Just by watching the movies, I could see a lot of reference from Lord of the Rings in The Hobbit. I am hoping to read The Lord of the Rings trilogy, or at least start it sometime this year. 

1 comment:

  1. I really loved the hobbit when I read it, I enjoyed it more than the lord of the rings. I tend to love high fantasy so that probably why I loved it so much. I’m glad you loved Bilbo he is one of my favourite characters of all time. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete