Monday, January 13, 2014

Book Review #404 - To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee


169182



Tomboy Scout Finch comes of age in a small Alabama town during a crisis in 1935. She admires her father Atticus, how he deals with issues of racism, injustice, intolerance and bigotry, his courage and his love.


My Rating: 4.5/5


I read this book as part of my 1001 Books Challenge where I try and read at least one book from the list per month.


I liked this book a lot more that I thought I would. I think that the reason I had been putting off reading it was because I didn't think it was my kind of book.


This book is filled with a lot of fascinating characters. This is one of the few books that I have read where I don't have a favourite character.


Atticus is the real protagonist of the book. The story is told through the eyes of his daughter and so as the reader you have a very subjective view of him. The way he defended Tom Robinson showed that he was way before his time.


Scout was the narrator. I loved her youthfulness and her tomboy nature. She resisted every feminine thing people tried to put on her. Her relationship with her brother Jem was one of my favourite aspects.


I loved how protective Jem was of Scout and how much he grows and matures throughout the book.


Arthur "Boo" Radley was the most fascinating character. He is introduced as the villain but ultimately over a short period of time becomes the hero of the book. Even though he doesn't speak much, his thoughts are strongly portrayed.


The racism aspect was a lot more prominent than I though it would be. I knew it was one of the main themes of the book but I didn't expect it to be so descriptive.


It was interesting to view it through the eyes of a child though as there was a massive difference in what she was hearing and what she was understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment